Essential Cooking is an in-depth, intense 4-week cooking course designed to elevate the novice cook to new heights of competence, confidence and culinary knowledge. The course is perfect for all ages and stages, from wannabe foodies to serious cooks, who want to become an exceptional cook or use their skills to fund a gap year (pre or post-university), sabbatical year (time-off career) or take the leap into the hospitality industry.
Built using a European cooking school model, The Gastronauts Academy has redesigned the cooking school format by building a truly unique curriculum. Using fun and high-energy teaching techniques, classes will work together as a team cooking multi-course meals followed by tasting the fruits of the team’s labor and complimented with paired libations and continuous conversation about the food, methods and origins. This intense program builds confidence within the kitchen, personal growth, life experience and all-around food and drink knowledge.
Essential Cooking offers the perfect on ramp for you to make the most of your new found skills.
Our built-in, optional internship program gives you valuable work experience in a selection of cafés, bars and restaurants within our partner campus. We also encourage you to take your skills and travel the world! With our network of recruitment agencies, we can help you land your dream job working winter ski seasons or in summer villas, private houses and yachts in the U.S., Europe or the Caribbean.
What the course covers
- Broad spectrum of cooking methods and techniques
- Kitchen & time management
- Menu planning
- Knife skills
- Fresh produce farming & selection
- Butchery & Fish Preparation
- Wine Pairing
- Cocktail Making
- Beer & Cider Pairing
- Bread Making
- Culinary History
- Team Building & Management
- All instruction
- All Food & Drink
- All Tours & Excursions
- Special GA Events
- Internship Program
- Career Counseling
- Workwear (Aprons & T-shirts)
- Safe Serve Health & Hygiene Certification
- Kitchen First Aid Certification
- All learning materials
Good to Know
- Great asset to any resume or college application
- Classes are a minimum of 12 and maximum of 24
- High-ratio of staff for each cooking session
- Classes are 5 days per week (Monday through Friday) 8:30am to 5:30pm
- Lunch & dinner is provided 5 days a week (Monday through Friday)
- Disability assistance is available upon request
- A 4-week course can be broken up through the year, each week being taken to accommodate your schedule.
- In the final week of the course, students will work in groups of 4 to cook special guests their examination dinner.
- On the final Friday of each course, we invite friends, family and special guests to join us for a farewell lunch.